Monday, April 25, 2005

Perplexed of West Yorkshire

So, as I aforementioned, we set of like good little voters to the meeting along the valley. Arrive in good time, so as to get a place in the hall, anticipating a goodly turnout as this is a marginal. First clue: no cars in the carpark. And so on - doors closed, lights of, no posters or notes on doors. We turn around and go home, in haste, check local paper.

Yes, we did have the right day, time and place, according to the local rag. So we turn around and zoom back, getting there at a couple of minutes past the given hour. And it was exactly the same situation.

So, see why I am perplexed? Was there a meeting elsewhere? Had the local rag got it wrong? Had all the candidates lost their bottle? Sadly, we may never know. But never let it be said that for once, we did not take our democratic duty seriously!

Back to fibre. I'm trying knitting with the variegated orange singles spun from the top that Freyalynn dyed. I didn't think it would work, but it looks as if it is going to - I thought for a long time about weaving with it, but looking at my rigid heddle, the yarn would have been at severe risk of abrading badly. This might just work. We shall see.

I have a large pot of silk and soy silk dyed with logwood cooling, and looking as if it has worked out well, too. Madder next, probably with an acid shift to get more of an orange than a rose.

Then, I have been working on proposals for a couple of articles, one of which is to be about Woolfest 2005. I didn't have any images to go with it, so did a google search. I found some lovely ones of Cockermouth, which made me feel - well, I'm not quite sure what. Assuming that this works,the blue painted shop that you can see in both images is the shop that I used to run with a friend. And in the Castlegate one, if you "walk" up the hill to the left to the green painted house, well that is where my friend Marianne used to live. I had many a cup of coffee inside there. I would give a lot to have a cup of coffee with her now, but - well, she died several years ago now, and I still miss her. Ah, well, c'est la vie.....

where I used to be!

And again

Cockermouth was always a pretty town, but it looks as though the powers that be have decided to go up market, and paint everything - looks good to me. It is going to be interesting going back.

Oh, pooh. I have been unable to see my hit counter for several days now, so decided to try another one. Which I have done, and can see it ok, but also the little advertising thingy. That might drive me bananas. Requires thought, but not now.

Sigh.

gw

2 comments:

Charleen said...

I don't see any advertising thingy - maybe you cleared it up already. Did you ever find out where the voting took place?

Sara said...

When is this event? I think I've missed the window of opportunity for cheap flights this year, alas...