Thursday, July 13, 2006

Eating my words, somewhat

I finished plying the lilac cashmere last night, and this morning washed it in very hot water, rinsed it in cold and then thwacked the bejasus out of it. It looks much better than I had imagined it would. I do so love abusing yarn - relieves a few tensions and improves the yarn no end. I should have done before and after shots, but didn't think - you will just have to take my word for it.

lilac cashmere

Yes, this is lilac. Tricky colour to reproduce, and very bright sunlight. So, in the end, whilst the preparation was nasty to spin, it has ended up with a nice soft hand - if slightly uneven mainly because of the drafting problems. Destined, I hope, for a pair of Mrs Beeton wristlets from Knitty. One day.

On another tack entirely, I picked up a book this morning that I have had for ages on a feminist interpretation of Runes. (Don't ask - I get these wild impulses sometimes.) Glancing through the index I saw - "Tiwaz - spindle". What?? So off I goes to see what it has to say, if it really did refer to a spindle as I know it.

Well, kind of. "Tiwaz. This is Frigg's distaff or spindle...." Excuse me? And later - "She...spins the world on her distaff...." So, I now have huge amounts of confidence in anything else I might read in this book - not. Especially as the author goes on to talk about spinning wheels in Bronze Age rock art. I really don't think so - historian I ain't, but somewhere around the early medieval period in Europe, although maybe earlier in China? I would truly love to be able to do proper research in to this - the history of textile s and textile production is so fascinating, and fundamental to our development (such as it is) socially. But it is possible that there just isn't all that much primary source material there. Certainly, I am horrified at some of the ignorance displayed in many quarters, not just this! Thank heaven for Wayland Barber.

Rant mode off. Back to preparing tonight's picnic. It is the DSM's birthday, and there is a production of "Midsummer Night's Dream at East Riddlesden


The idea is to picnic on the grass before the play. So, I have: crusty french bread, organic smoked salmon, grilled green olives, black olives marinated in herbes de Provence, and an asparagus quiche. Plus a bottle of Prosecco. His brother and wife, who are joining us, are hopefully bringing salads and fruit from their (extensive) garden.

We shouldn't starve.

2 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

I've heard of this yarn-whacking business before, what is the purpose of it???
India

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the DSM!
I hope that the celebration is all that you both want it to be.
Like you I have found that cashmere to spin is quite variable even from the same primary source. Trust me when I say bison is much worse. I have begun to think that equipment to prepare it is still rather primitive considering that it was all done by hand until recently as compared to wool.
Cheers
me