Thursday, September 08, 2005

The sea is much calmer now

Not that I actually know about the sea. Wish I did. The only thing wrong with living where I do is that I am a long way away from the sea, and I miss it. The DSM, theoretically, could see the sea every working day, but he is always terribly sniffy about it, or rather, the acres of wet sand which is all he claims ever to clap eyes on.

I am digressing wildly.

My phone was in this mornings post, I put the SIM back in, and by George! I think we have lift-off. At least I can go to the coven, sad and depleted little gathering that it will be this evening, and not have to worry about driving back phoneless.

So, spirits somewhat lifted, I spend the greater part of the day spinning in preparation for teaching at a guild on Saturday. I do an "Improve your Spinning" workshop, which so far has always gone down quite well. It is all stuff that I know inside out, but it never hurts to run over everything again, check notes, refresh on how to spin those durn fancy yarns...

Does anyone ever actually use fancy yarns in any meaningful way? I have to confess that I never, ever have, just learned them and now practice them to pass on to other people. I can see the point of learning them, it is all about having control of your handspinning so that you can produce the yarn you actually want or need to spin. Having things (well, some things, anyway!) under control is good. So I can take them through cable and slub, knot and marl, fancy Navajo plies with a will now.

I am also pleased and amazed, my ad about selling spindles in the Journal has borne fruit to the extent of someone wanting no less than three at once! Wow. As they say. I'm taking those on Saturday, too, so might do more. Every little helps. (I am challenging myself to use as many cliches over the next year as I possibly can. I like cliches.)

Also had an AH class admin thing to sort out - a regular trying to book late again and being turned down. We managed, I think, but maybe I need to tell them that I can't act as intermediary any more. Every time I think I have it sorted with the staff, it happens all over again. Also prompts me to suggest that they might try putting on a beginners one day class, see how that goes. Next week should be ok, I'm doing the famous natural dyeing lecture. Just need to brush up on that now......

No comments: