Monday, September 26, 2005

Can you get jetlag from driving back up the motorway from Cornwall

The DSM says it is psychological. I don't ever feel too bad from the trip down, but coming home reduces me to a state of cream-crackeredness. So, yesterday I was very tired, which meant that when invited out for the evening, the sensible response would have been to say no. When do I ever do the sensible thing? Had a good time, too, really, of which more later.

If fact, there is a lot of catching up to do from the last week, which will take me more than one post. I didn't do exactly a lot of spinning or knitting, but then I wasn't sitting around peacefully all that much. Really, all I did was knit the green shawl, and I still haven't finished it. Can you have a low-key action-packed week? I think that is what just happened.

We left on Friday evening after my AH class. Which went very well, they really enjoyed the latest variation of the lecture on natural dyeing. And I had two complete beginners who were very nice, keen and in one case quick to pick up spinning - the other one was a little less so, but I think will get there if she sticks at it. The class was overfull, and this is becoming a real problem. Of course, I chose to put my foot down at what turned out not to be the best moment, but I'm not sorry to have discovered an ability to be firm - it will stand me in good stead.

Uneventful drive down to where we were staying that night, had an excellent meal and a good night's sleep, before going on to pick up the DSM's aunt in Somerset. When we got to DMIL's house, the rest of the outlaws arrived not long afterward and I managed to lose my cool with DSIL without having a screaming match and embarrassing anyone except possibly her, but what the hell, we all survived!

I'll do some pretty piccies maybe tomorrow, but here finally is The Shawl, wrapped around DMIL no less. Who probably doesn't know that she is about to be on the internet, but I think it is a great photograph and can't resist.

Birthday shawl

That is, of course, her eldest little boy in the background, and in fact the gruesome photograph beyond that. (The curtains have been in the family since the 1960s, and have years of useful life left in them, dammit, despite all my offers to find brilliant material from a mill shop and to make new ones. There is a war on, you know - oh, well, no, it was over sixty years ago, but the principle still applies!)

Despite my rudeness, I love my MIL, she is a great person, never makes me feel dumb because she went to Oxford and was a County bridge player. She looks pretty damn fine for 90, too.

Then, I don't have a photo for this one, but went to another birthday party last night. My niece this time, who it was good to see, and I got to meet the boyfriend, who seems piratically nice, and the half-sister, who is lovely and I hope to get to know better. Well, both of them, but you know what I mean.


More Cornwall stuff to come, it all got quite exciting at times. Nice to be back, though, despite the better climate there.

No comments: