Monday, August 31, 2009

Here we are on August Bank Holiday Monday

And is the sun shining? No, it is not. (I think that reminds me of a Flanders and Swann ditty?)*

Ah, well, a three day weekend, and lots of nice things to do. Like visiting my mother, a super lunch with friends also in York and calling in to say goodbye to "Temporary Art Space" and hello to my niece at the Piece Hall on Saturday.

Cue for:

piece hall

The Halifax device on the gates. I'd never noticed it before.

So, what else? Well, the mail on Saturday morning had a couple of things in it. One was this:

new project bag, new project

My lovely new project bag from Roseland Bags, carrying a new project, a camel and silk scarf in progress. Nice simple knit to work on whilst a-visiting.

The other thing was - finally! - I had ordered Photoshop Elements; so I spent time installing that, and starting to play with it. So far, so good, but it will take a while, and uploading to Flickr took me a bit of hunting around to sort. Not though, on the whole, as bad as I had feared.

So, here we have, free, gratis and for nothing, two gratuitous, cropped cat pics (well.....)

barni

neelix

As is obvious, the "fix red eye" command didn't appear to work!

Then, there has been spinning. Upstairs and downstairs - quite a bit on the ongoing dyed Polwarth, and rather less on the natural. Although there will be more later this afternoon, I think.

polwarth

All of which makes a good accompaniment to working on the Araucaria crossword from yesterday's Grauniad - which we have, by the way, just finished almost as I speak. Fiendish, utterly fiendish. My role in these enterprises is to recognise the word or name as actually existing and being what the clue is asking for; or something of a talent for looking at a partially-solved clue and fitting a word in to it for the DSM to in his turn fit to the given definition.

Warped, or what??

Despite the lack of sun, and an extremely damp atmosphere, I am starting on washing the Bowmont-Shetland cross fleece that I bought at Woolfest. I had forgotten to remove it from the plastic bag it had come home in, and although you can sometimes get away with that, it has been so wet of late that it had been wicking up water from the atmosphere and not letting it go! Oops......

OK, off to wash a bit more......

* Indeed it does!

A Song of the Weather

January brings the snow
Makes your feet and fingers glow
February's Ice and sleet
Freeze the toes right off your feet
Welcome March with wintry wind
Would thou wer't not so unkind
April brings the sweet spring showers
On and on for hours and hours
Farmers fear unkindly May
Frost by night and hail by day
June just rains and never stops
Thirty days and spoils the crops
In July the sun is hot
Is it shining? No, it's not
August cold, and dank, and wet
Brings more rain than any yet
Bleak September's mist and mud
Is enough to chill the blood
Then October adds a gale
Wind and slush and rain and hail
Dark November brings the fog
Should not do it to a dog
Freezing wet December then:
Bloody January again!

Michael Flanders

No comments: