Friday, April 07, 2006

Am I just too picky?

Have overly high standards of behaviour?

Doing the Tesco run this morning, I rounded the end of the aisle and swung into the next one at the same time as one of the young male employees - who was busily resettling his balls to the exact position he wanted them to be. (Please imagine that last italicised - but for some reason best known to its little self, Blogger won't let me do it.)

So, am I wrong to feel grossed out? If I need to adjust a bra strap, or knicker elastic, or heaven forbid, scratch my arse, then I do it discreetly if not in hiding, and certainly would not blatantly reach up, down or all around in full view of absolutely everyone. Perhaps I am wrong - perhaps this is my middle class middle-age wrong-headed values, and we should all let it - them - all hang down or out or wherever is comfortable whenever and wherever.

What is the world coming to?

Going backwards in time - yesterday, all day, was a meeting of the coven. One of the less-common daytime, shared lunch experiences, we haven't had one for a while and it was good. The Fabulous Freyalynn knelt down for hours before her knitting machine and did white blank pieces for various of us to paint at some later date, which was definitely above and beyond. she did later on sit to do it which made my knees feel much more comfortable at least. I spent all day stringing beads on to wire to do some more knitted pieces. I am going to have another crack at a bracelet, make it more narrow this time. The kit one I got is too wide, and I didn't pay enough attention to the edges, not to mention the number of stitches, so it doesn't really please me. My two cards have been very well received, and have served well as practice bits. I need to move on to something more challenging.....

And apart from a little spinning, the only other thing of any note that I have done is to do a little more of the new-version, now knitted, jacket. This is because I had the WI talk on Wednesday, and I as usual allowed myselkf to get nervous about it.

It went fine, well in fact. But I did the daftest thing. ~I couldn't remember what fee I had said I was charging, and had expected to be asked. When the Treasurer did come up to me, she asked me what my expenses were, to which I replied that I wasn't asking for any as I had only driven a mile up the road...she then muttered something to her companion about cheque signing and I though, oh goody, she has a note of what the fee is.

Going out the door to leave some little while later, I suddenly bethought me - far too late, of course - that I hadn't been paid. It was then that I realised that when she had said "expenses", which I had though meant "travel expenses" - she had meant my fee for the whole shebang. As one might say, o buggrit.

It was far too late to do anything about it, by my lights anyway. And in some ways, I don't mind too much because they were a really nice group, and I might even join in a couple of months time. It had given me a good opportunity to meet them and see what sort of things they got up to (although judging the garter stitch knitted squares was nearly a challenge too far.....) Plus. I Have Learnt A Valuable Lesson.

Driving back from the supermarket this morning, I was for no particularly good reason reminded of a story from my misspent youth. I might have the photographic evidence...if so, watch this space, I'll post it.

And, now I realise that Blogger is on one of its go-slow days, and I don't have spell-check either. So - tough. Typos and all.

No comments: