Sunday, May 14, 2006

The pond* is dead - long live the pond*

I did wonder about trying to sell this as the latest thing in lifestyle. SUV complete with own pond.

SUV decor

But I think I may be too cutting edge, and that this is an idea whose time has not yet come. I am indeed often misunderstood about these things.

Our pond, home to many tadpoles and a fine waterlily, died this week. The water level kept on sinking alarmingly, despite the DSM's valiant work with the hose. Hence the purchase yesterday of one pond liner. Now that the old barrel, which once held whisky, not weed and water, is out of the ground, it is easy to see why.

Dead barrel

So, now the DSM is busy excavating a slightly larger hole. And for those of a nervous disposition, he is not in imminent danger of toppling over the edge, there is a further ledge below before the sheer drop from our eccentric garden.

Diggin' an 'ole

The tadpoles are safe in buckets and hopefully will survive the upheaval. We were asking advice about keeping ponds clean and clear (we do use barley straw to help with algae, but duckweed is a problem) and were advised to get fish. Fish!?! I rather like the idea, but I suspect that the cats would too, not to mention the neighbourhood herons. But we are tempted.....

*The DSM has instructed me to say that any derogatory remarks about buckets from persons residing in California are made at the perpetrator's own risk.

He said that. Not me. Just doing what I am told. Really.

4 comments:

Sara said...

What? The DIY store was out of buckets?

Susie has a chicken wire contraption over the top of her *pond* to keep the fish safe. It is unobtrusive enough to be acceptable. She has a concrete *pond*: no leaks. I hear plastic is quite nice though (!).

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with entertaining the cats and feeding the herons? I like herons better than fish, I guess.

Freyalyn said...

But of course if you get fish you won't have any more tadpoles!

Helen said...

We have a pond.
It has fish. The cats find them amusing to watch, but so far have yet to claim one.
The tadpoles co-exist quite happily as well.
So far, we've had no herons, so I can't speak to that.
Fish (at least koi and goldfish) are MUCH more effective than barley straw at keeping algae under control. And you can train them to come when you call to them, (food ya know)... but really you dont' have to feed them, as the algae is their food.