Thursday, October 30, 2014

Back again, still without photographs

The afghan is finished. I really like it, after fearing that I might not. But I still haven't managed to photograph it, sorry.

I attempted an attached i-cord edging, and it looked absolutely ghastly. So, remembering that I was supposed to have this interest in blending crochet with knit, I did a simple double crochet (single if you are from the USA) for four rounds, and finished off with a crab stitch round. Crab stitch is also double crochet, but worked in the opposite direction, which gives the stitch a nice little twisted bump and a more defined look. I had thought I might make tassels for each corner, but they looked really naff. So I managed to find my pom-pom maker and did four in each colour, putting one of each on each corner instead. It makes me think of a camel blanket, or something, but in a good way. An actual Finished Object!

The orange-tawny Landscape shawl is progressing, but I am having to ignore at the moment that I have as usual gone awry with the moss stitch section. I am waiting until I have done a bit more of the next, stocking stitch, section to have a good look at it and see if I can get away with leaving it. I know I shouldn't, but..........

Spinning - continuing with the alpaca and silk, which has given me an excellent (well, I think so) idea for a "module" in the Spin to Knit class. I have even written up a first draft. Sometimes I amaze myself. Unfortunately, I have just realised that probably we should really have a Mission Statement, and dare I say it, Outcomes. As a matter of fact, I always do have these, but they tend to be in my head rather than set out, and take on their life during and after the actual workshop. Maybe it is time I grew up.

I had a great thrill this morning. One of the things that has happened whilst I had my blogging absence was that Sam, one of the two younger Snowshoes when missing and never returned. Today, their breeder emailed me to say that she has not one but two new litters of kittens, too young to give colours yet, but they look very well-sized, healthy little pink things......and are we still interested.

What a silly question. We shall go and see them in December and hopefully fall in love with two to come live with us and Barni and Ferdi. The former is not going to be too impressed, but I think that Ferdi will enjoy having galloping kits to play with, which will take the pressure off B. Those two are still hunting like crazy as winter refuses to descend. I am so glad that the DSM gets up first!




Ok, update on my sister.

Yesterday, she had her first appointment at Christies. We didn't really learn anything new, except that they are going to try palliative chemo. The long, long list of side effects and terrible things that can happen was daunting, but she fully appreciates that it is worth trying. The doctor was quite clear that if at any time she feels that it is not worth continuing, then that is her decision alone to stop. We were both very impressed by that - it puts a little control back in to her hands in a situation where there is practically none. All the medical people we have met have been very straightforward, although the word "death" has not been mentioned once. It is left hanging in the air. No false pretence, but nothing explicit.

I did sort of ask the question (another thing that is greatly appreciated, that it is taken for granted that I should be there, and am included in the consultation and can ask questions too), not "how long" but "presumably you can't give any sort of timescale. Seemingly, they really don't like doing that. Pennie didn't want to, but he did offer to speak to me alone. I refused, not fair to her, but I might later on if an opportunity presents itself. However, he did tell her that he was certain that she would still be around for a particular event a few months down the line, a relief in many ways, for me because I had uncharacteristically stuck my neck out and told her that yes, she would be there, I promised. So not like me, that......

So, chemo starts for her next Wednesday, and I don't think I shall be there as we are going to Cornwall for a few days - you can't ignore a 99 year old MIL totally, after all. But Pennie has very good friends who are more than willing to help too, so \I shall try not to feel too guilty.

I know really that I am not going to wake up and find it has all been a dream........

No comments: