Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Poor, neglected blog....

Although never too slow to write about other matters, I write this blog primarily as a means to focus and record fibre work that I am doing. As a consequence, when Real Life gets in the way and there is none to document other than a yard or two of yarn spun and an inch or two of sock knitted, the result here tends to be silence.

As at present. We have been busily occupied meeting people at airports, transporting them places, visiting other friends (most enjoyably) in the process, so on and so forth. Lots of chat; lots of things happening. But not all that much blog fodder, so to speak.

A little something to redeem myself. Last weekend was the annual Alston Hall Retreat, and although I says it myself as one of those organising this year, a cracking good one. But then, they always are.

Half of those attending were working under the eagle eye of Sara
I'm afraid I have no photographs of them, I was far too busy slaving away over in Housecraft very happily dyeing with Debbie.

We started off with a sample skein, thus:



I don't know why I had never thought of doing this before, but I hadn't. Debbie does this in a microwave, but it translates perfectly well to a pan; a Coven Dye Day is planned.

Then I painted blanks - two pairs of socks and a bag. I had to rush to get them all done, and completely forgot to photograph mine - here are someone else's as an example.



Whilst I was bag painting, the really keen ones were winding enormous long skeins for self striping sock yarn, which seemed to involve a very great deal of hilarity as well as serious work:



If you notice the two lilac lab coats here, imagine what the startling and somewhat creepy appearance of a roomful of people wearing those might be when coming upon it unawares...like some fifties sci-fi movie involving snatched body parts or something.

We are home and absolutely shattered. We keep falling asleep all over the place. I can't believe that this is all down to advancing years - surely.....

Although it is the DSM's birthday today! To be well celebrated this evening with a nice meal out. I am the designated driver, so stand a chance of staying awake, don't I??

3 comments:

Barbara Blundell said...

The dyeing looks absolutely fascinating. Would love to have a go !

Charleen said...

First, a happy, though belated, birthday to Pete! The giant skein winding looks like it was a lot of fun. We just got back from a cross-country trip - Philadelphia to San Diego. Even with six days to recuperate between drives I am knocked out! I know I wouldn't have felt this way thirty years ago :-)

Eleanor said...

Ha Ha. Is this happening again next year Carol? I really MUST come!
Eleanor x